[sudo-discuss] [Board/Incorporation] Free Legal Cafe w/SELC Weds. Nov 6 @ LOL

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Wed Oct 30 02:34:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you know that the Sustainable Economies Law Center (SELC) has
> experience giving incorporation advice to other hackerspaces? They have an
> upcoming free legal advice cafe that I will be attending with my personal
> questions regarding board nominations and other topics I'm curious about
> related to Sudo Room's incorporation. Join me!*
>
> Wednesday, Nov. 6th
> 4:30-7:30pm (I plan on arriving at opening)

Awesome Vicky!
I can't make it, but here are some questions:

Are the any structures for incorporation that do not require any hierarchy,
such as a board, but still has liability protections for the members or
co-owners?

We would be the drawbacks to forming a non-profit corporation where all
members are members of the board?

For a non-hierarchical non-profit member-driven organization such as sudo
room, would there be any advantages to being a California co-op where a
share costs a very low amount (e.g. $1) and all members have shares? As
apposed to becoming a traditional corporation.

--
Marc/Juul