[sudo-discuss] The Omni is happening - PLEASE REVIEW & DISCUSS!

Phil Wolff pwolff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 17:14:49 PDT 2014

> A traditional turn of phrase used by property<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate> experts
is that the three most important factors in determining the desirability of
a property are "location, location, location".

Aside from Matt's concerns (+1), I'm really worried about the site's
location. Please correct me if I'm incorrect but:

- There is no foot traffic. Sudo Room now benefits from our being near an
active thoroughfare, drawing visitors and prospective members from passers
by. Not at 4799.

- Omni's neighbors are residential, so we'll have to moderate our
activities to minimize adverse impact on them. This likely will include
severely limiting attendance at events, measuring and capping noise/music,
limiting active hours, and restricting activities that produce noxious or
toxic emissions. These are common limits placed on churches and other
organizations operating among family homes.

- Freeway pros and cons. Right around the corner from a freeway exit
(good). Half-block from the 24 Freeway (noise, smog).

- There is no parking, naturally limiting participation and attendance. We
have an abundance of off-street parking now.

- Transit options are a fraction of what serve us now. We're two short
blocks from BART, bringing people from Berkeley, San Francisco, points East
and South, not to mention other parts of Oakland. Nearly two-dozen bus
lines stop within one or two blocks now. The Temescal location is 0.6 miles
from MacArthur BART; I'm not inclined to spend that much time on foot on
that footpath in the evening. Bus lines are limited (three on Telegraph?).

- The neighborhood association and Oakland seem to have strong limits on
external signage and building modifications for that area. True?

- An article described 4799 as an "historical building". At risk of
landmark status? That would limit modifications we can do
and slow renovations.

I'd love to know where my understanding isn't factual. Where it is, how
does Omni Oakland plan to overcome or compensate for these limits? Can SR
prosper with the changes? Are altenative sites, like the Alice one, better
or worse locations on these dimensions?

Love, Phil

--

Phil Wolff