[sudo-discuss] Drill press has faulty wiring

Torrie Fischer tdfischer at hackerbots.net
Sun Aug 17 18:17:33 PDT 2014

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 08:06:47 PM Torrie Fischer wrote:
> The drill press speed controller has some faulty wiring. I got zapped by it
> today, though after having used it for quite some time. I have made note of
> this with affixing a sign to the press and locking out the plug with a zip-
> tie.
>
> I will be picking up an AC outlet tester ASAP to sort out what is amiss
> unless someone else can figure it out or locate one before I anticipate
> returning on Wednesday.

A bit later than planned for various reasons, but I tested the drill's power
with an AC tester today. Turns out that the neutral and hot were reversed on
the orange/white monstrosity of an extension cable.

I also said I'd be ordering some things from McMaster and have them here by
now, but I decided to hold off until I knew if I needed anything to fix the
drill. As consequence, I'm adding some male and female NEMA 5-15 connectors to
the order to properly fix the two cables.

I'm going to assume that the drill itself is wired correctly, considering how
the extension cable is really the only new variable that was introduced
recently. I have removed the lockout and deemed it safe for use, with proper
training of course :)