[sudo-discuss] electrical upgrade update

hol at gaskill.com hol at gaskill.com
Fri Aug 22 13:02:23 PDT 2014

hi folks,

last night jake, whitney and i met to go over the electrical plans a bit
more. it sounds like the server area is going to need up to 30 amps, so
we're talking about having 2 breakers supplying the balcony, plus one
for the museum and 3d printing area, plus one going over to power the
shop. 230V service will be run at a later stage since we are not
currently running any 230V loads on that side, so these are all 115V
runs. also, we talked about scrapping the hanging ceiling outlets and
just running heavy duty power strips from the 3D printing area and the
back wall and protecting them with something like this
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/MediumDutyDOCC.php to drastically
simplify things.

attached is an incredibly messy sketch, mainly drawn to show the
proposed route where we would like to run conduit along the wall, and
get confirmation from the group that this is OK with respect to
preserving the art on the back wall. the path was chosen to clear the
top shelves along the wall, then drop down at a 90 degree vertical curve
to provide power at bench (~48" height) and floor level (min 18" off the
ground), and make a 90 degree horizontal curve to continue along the
bottom of the back wall so as not to impact the mural. whitney has more
technical info esp concerning the layout of plugs - we are ready to
proceed with purchasing materials tomorrow if there are no objections.

cheers,

hol