[sudo-discuss] Changing the sudo lights!

Alice Rosenthal beehappysolutions at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 06:34:19 PST 2014

This is an interesting thought.  As my eyes age, I find I like brighter light situations when I work but when working with an illuminated screen, light is not much of an issue.

If I made a general assessment of Sudo SPACE I'd say that if more atmospheric lighting was desired, then the ceiling needs to be lower. Of course there are a few ways to do this, but the most practical way to do this could also increase work area.  What I am thinking of is building a loft.  Under the loft (10' high) would be beams/joists that would serve as a structure for directional light.  The loft itself would block out the omni-directional flood light given off my the flouresent bulbs currently providing light.  Under the loft would be both cave like and open with 10' ceilings.  Above a loft could be used for many purposes - too many to list here.

Things to consider: lofts are usually against (attached to) one, two or three walls. Lofts materials cost money and are must be build using sound construction practices.

Lighting, like I am talking about above would also cost money.

It's all a considerable investment and there is so much to do already at the Omni to get it to pass code inspections.  The rent has to be paid every month and I worry that there may be a challenge maintaining the existing roof over the collective's head.

Perhaps Noemie had something less grand in mind about changing the lighting in Sudo. I'd love to read some other peoples ideas about  creative lighting solutions / changes.

I've go to get to work now.

Alice