[sudo-discuss] Sudo! Wanna co-host this surveillance event?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 13:58:42 PST 2014

Hey all,

The Bay Area Public School has scheduled a surveillance awareness event on
Friday 2/21 7-9pm in the common room entitled Spied Upon: Surveillance &
Resistance. I was hoping we (sudo) could co-host this event with BAPS,
because I think it'd be really cool if we start doing more events together.
BAPS can do most all of the setup, but it'd be great if Sudo can do
outreach too, since I think it'd be in the interest of both communities.

What do you think?

There's a twofold focus on informants and technological surveillance.
Here's the Sudo Room calendar *event link
<https://sudoroom.org/ai1ec_event/spied-upon-bay-area-premiere-baps/>*.
Details are below -

*Spied Upon: Surveillance and Resistance*
Join us Friday February 21st 7-9 pm at the Bay Area Public
School<http://thepublicschool.org/node/36455> &
Sudo Room
2141 Broadway (enter on 22nd), Oakland - three blocks from 19th St. Bart!

Between the ever-present fear of informants to the profusion of metadata
collection and the construction of the Domain Awareness
Center<http://oaklandwiki.org/Domain_Awareness_Center> (DAC)
in Oakland, the growing problem of surveillance has made it into the
mainstream dialog, but the people and communities most affected are
sometimes being left out of the conversation.

Join us for an evening of ideas, discussion and questions about solidarity
in the face of this intimidation. How do we support one another and our
movements when being targeted by police, surveillance and informants? What
are the legal, community and political responses that can best keep the
larger "us" safe and allow our movements to flourish?

*- SPEAKERS -*
*Jason Kirkpatrick*, filmmaker and activist, will show clips of and discuss
his upcoming film, *Spied Upon* <http://spiedupon.com/>. Interviewing
activists across the world and telling his own personal story, Jason will
take us on a journey into one of Europe's biggest political surveillance
scandals, documenting growing movements of resistance to surveillance along
the way.

*Zahra Billoo*, Civil rights attorney and Executive Director at the Bay
Area *Council on American-Islamic Relations* <http://www.cair.com/> (CAIR),
speaks on the use of informants in a post-9/11 context, their impact, the
community's resistance and lessons learned.

*Richard Brown*, Black Panther and member of the
*SF8*<http://www.freethesf8.org/who.html>,
will share his history with undercover police and surveillance, imparting
the 'long view' of solidarity learned from a lifetime of activism.

*- Panel Discussion -*
Q & A with the speakers will follow in conversation with representatives
from:
*Bay Area Anti-Repression
Committee*<https://oaklandantirepression.wordpress.com/>
*Bay Area Coalition to Stop Political
Repression*<http://araborganizing.org/campaigns-our-work/coalition-to-stop-political-repression/>
(at
AROC)
*Legal Workers of the National Lawyers
Guild*<http://www.nlgsf.org/national-lawyers-guild-mission-statement>
 (NLG)
*Oakland Privacy Working Group* <https://oaklandprivacy.wordpress.com/> (OPWG
/ anti-DAC)

All donations gratefully received will go to the Bay Area Anti-Repression
Committee and the Legal Workers at the Bay Area chapter of the NLG - two
groups long supporting the Bay Area radical community with legal and
educational assistance. Thank you!