[sudo-discuss] Sudo! Wanna co-host this surveillance event?

David Keenan dkeenan44 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 00:07:16 PST 2014

Hi all..

I know there hasn't been much activity on this thread, but I was wondering
if I could up the ante. Because sometimes, life's just like that.

Would we (sudo) be willing to entirely host this event? Without BAPS..

I ask because the event's organizers would really like for there to be a
simple donation box somewhere off to the side in the space, for folks to be
able to donate directly at the event. This money would go to Oakland's
Anti-Repression Committee and National Lawyer Guild's Legal Workers (the
non-lawyer workforce part of the NLG).

Within BAPS, there has emerged some reservation amongst organizers that
having any other group (that is not BAPS) accept donations at an event BAPS
hosts, might abrogate our statement of financial principles that there be
no solicitation at the event. There's a confusion here that can't work
itself out until our next general meeting at the earliest, which isn't for
a while, and in the meantime.. the event needs to be promoted and have a
home that is assured.

So having Sudo solely host this event instead of BAPS, would solve a real
headache for us.

Are we down for this? I've already set the speakers and logistics up.. we
just need a home, and hopefully, be able to put it on Sudo's facebook.

alla best,
David