[sudo-discuss] Video of Mandela Foods Cooperative and the West Oakland Youth Standing Empowered Program | American Worker Cooperative

Jeremy Entwistle jwentwistle at cryptolab.net
Tue Feb 4 11:04:11 PST 2014

I support everybody who provides food to Oakland, as we definitely
don't have enough grocery stores in the area, but these stores
shouldn't be referred to as being the same thing.

While it's called the People's Community Market, it is not owned by
the people, it's owned by a corporation. It's capitalistic and profits
that are made by the corporation will go to the owners of it, not the
people working there. The worker's wages will always be seen as a cost
to the owners and the profits created by the workers will be stolen
from them. Meanwhile, the workers at the Mandela Food Cooperative are
the owners and the profits made by the workers will go to them.

I understand that we need more grocery stores with fresh produce in
the area, but I don't see that as an excuse to exploit the workers.

Take care,
Jeremy