[sudo-discuss] "New" Sudo bike & redux of old Sudo bike, take one

Chris Bee hotelcompany at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 14:44:01 PST 2014

And...action-
[image: Inline image 1]

IMO this is the ideal loaner bike- it's simple, light, not too nice but not
a total piece of crap, and with a couple quick adjustments damn near anyone
can ride it safely and comfortably. Best of all, I can build something like
this out of junk with basic tools in a few hours so it's not a huge loss if
it doesn't come back.

Which brings me to my next point. I think loaning bikes out is a great
idea, as long as there's an understanding that the the word "loan" implies
that the item in question will be returned in the same condition (or close
to it) in a timely fashion. Sudoers are pretty good about this...but when
non-members walk out of here with bikes without leaving some kind of
contact info or a name or a clear idea of what the terms of the loan are,
it's even odds as to whether it will come back in working order.  So as a
hedge against any future misunderstandings, we should at least write down a
name, how we can get a hold of them, and how long they need the bike for.
This can be on a discretionary basis but I can't think of a reason why we
shouldn't keep track of who has what.

Anyway...the old sudo bike has been slightly revised- longer seatpost, new
bars and stem so there's a shorter reach on the bars, new fender/front and
rear light, broken and/or unnecessary crap removed, brakes kind of work
now...to go beyond making it safe (safer?) and rideable would be like
polishing a turd, and I need less of that in my life right now. I took a
pic but my antique iPhone doesn't want to give it up. Selah.

So they're here if you want to try them out. Enjoy.

-chrisbee