[sudo-discuss] Domain Awareness Center (Today)

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Tue Feb 18 01:17:09 PST 2014

If showing up at a protest can cause someone to get fired from their
job, the obvious question is, how does their employer find out they were
at a protest?

The linked article at pastebin.com is frankly weak.

The guy used his company car to go to the protests, where he was twice
pulled over in that car.  Using a company car for personal trips is
sufficient to get one fired from most jobs, regardless of whether going
to a protest or to church.  Getting pulled over in a company car is also
a problem even if it occurs while doing company business: it's a
potential liability to the company.  Getting pulled over twice in a
company car while using it for personal trips is waving a red flag in
the face of a bull.  It's practically begging to get fired.

The mere fact of having gotten a fix-it ticket for the front license
plate would have brought the matter to the attention of the employer,
since the employer, as registered owner of the vehicle, would have had
to arrange to get a front license plate.  But even if OPD showing the
"bandana and flag" pictures to the employer was found to be some kind of
incitement of the boss to fire the guy, the fact of getting pulled over
twice while using a company vehicle for personal use is sufficient to
support the termination.  To make a case that this was "political," the
terminated employee would have to demonstrate that he was treated
differently to other employees under similar circumstances.

Complaining about getting fired for using a company car to go to a
protest, is an affront to anyone who has truly faced retaliation from an
employer for going to a protest or attempting to organize a union, or
faced some other form of clear oppression for acting fully within their
rights.  It plays right into the hands of those who accuse protesters of
being whiners, and who accuse people who are truly oppressed by
employers or others, of also being whiners.

A guy who worked for a logging company was fired for attending a meeting
of an environmental group in the early '00s.  In certain southern
states, people were fired for having Obama stickers on their cars in
2008.  Those are cases of political oppression.  Company cars?  Not so much.

Aside from using company cars (or showing up wearing company clothes or
name tags), how else do employers find out someone was at a protest?
Just say Facebook, Google, and Twitter.

While we're all distracted by the antics of OPD and NSA, the biggest
surveillance engines the world has ever seen are happily grinding away
on all of our data.  This is true whether we personally use them or
whether we're only caught up in them by accident, such as someone else
posting a picture on Facebook where we're in the background, and our
faces getting picked up by Facebook's face-recognition and name-tagging
program.

Meanwhile, if you "friend" too many people with bad credit ratings, the
credit bureaux will ding your own credit rating.  And if your employer's
HR people contract with a data mining company, they'll have your Google
dossier.  "Everything you say, can and will be used against you."

In this brave new world, oppression isn't "oppression" when it's wrapped
up in a shiny consumer package and provides "convenience" and
"entertainment," keeps you "in touch" 24/7/365, or comes with the latest
flavor of "birds," be they angry, flappy, happy, or crappy.

Some day the .govs will learn that trick, and then it will really be
"game over."  I wonder what flavor of "birds" they'll have?

That said, yeah, wear your best "surveillance fashions" to protests.

Sunglasses (to protect your eyes from unhealthy ultraviolet light), a
surgical mask (to avoid catching the flu or sneezing on others), and a
knit cap over your head & ears (to keep your head warm so you don't
catch a cold or ear infection) are always good.

To avoid face recognition, the things you need to cover are your eyes,
ears, nose, and mouth, and if possible your hair.

And don't forget the makeup!;-)  Painting zig-zags on your face and
arms, in contrasting colors, is always good.  Keyword search "dazzle
camouflage" as used in World War 1, and apply the same artistic style to
yourself.

"Mask, what mask?, I'm just trying to avoid getting sick and getting my
eyes fried."

"Camo, what camo?, I'm just commemorating the hundredth anniversary of
WW1 this year, with a salute to the abstract art that decorated our Navy
ships!"

See who where?

-G

=====