[sudo-discuss] Taxes

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 17:44:57 PST 2014

But if membership fees are > $75/yr (and didn't we put a minimum of
$10/mo?), that clause would not apply. The lowest membership level at
GAFFTA and the Crucible is exactly $75/yr, which is probably why they can
make it fully tax deductible. Of course, the Crucible also makes far more
from class fees than membership fees.

If you pay more than $75/yr, then the organization needs to give you a
written statement explaining how much is deductible. *Except* they don't
need to give you a statement if the only things you get are "token items"
(such as key chains and T-shirts?) and "membership benefits that can be
disregarded" (such admission to the facilities and member events).

If you read that by the letter, that might mean that the organization
doesn't need to give you the statement, but you still won't be able to
deduct those "certain membership benefits"?

Gah, who wrote this kinda crap? Spaghetti code ain't got nothing on it...

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

Patrik