[sudo-discuss] People's Open Network community outreach request for contacts!

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 16:03:27 PST 2014

Hi all!

The People's Open Network <https://peoplesopen.net> is just beginning - an
effort to create a community-owned wireless mesh network in the East Bay,
providing free wi-fi and a resilient local network hosting local
applications. It works by mounting low-cost routers on rooftops and outside
of people's homes. The routers are running software that enables them to
automatically connect to each other and share connectivity.

For those who haven't heard, last week Sudo Mesh
<https://sudomesh.org>announced our
developer launch <https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Mesh/Blog#Developer_Launch>.
We're testing the firmware with an initial batch of ~20 nodes run by folks
with networking skills who can help us debug. If this is you, please get in
touch! We have a mailing list <http://lists.sudoroom.org/listinfo/mesh> and
an IRC channel <http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=peoplesopen.net>, and
meet weekly at Sudo on Thursday evenings starting at 7:30pm.

The point of this email, however, is to request folks to add to our community
outreach spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dC1mVjlaeTVSckhrZUc4VjNvZ0dGTlE&usp=sharing>.
We're reaching out to non-profits, schools, churches, libraries, coops and
other communities who may be interested in supporting the mesh - either
through hosting a node, getting the word out, creating a partnership w/
People's Open Network, and/or working on local services and applications we
can run on the network.

The link to edit the spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_Q7DQvNFT-dC1mVjlaeTVSckhrZUc4VjNvZ0dGTlE&usp=sharing
- please do a search for the name of the org you're adding before adding a
new row.

Thanks for any help you can provide in helping to develop relationships and
expand the network :)

Mesh the planet!
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net