[sudo-discuss] A friendly reminder re: use and abuse of the space

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 14:40:55 PDT 2014

Hey sudo!

It's come to my attention that some folks are concerned about the
abuse of the common space in particular by certain non-members. This
is a friendly reminder that any sudo room member is empowered to ask a
non-member to leave at any point, with no reason given, and which the
non-member must do unless another member present is willing to vouch
for that person [1]. I recommend gathering 2-3 other folks to approach
the problematic individual, with one person speaking. Such requests
hold water for 12 hours, and repeated incidents are perfectly
reasonable to bring to a sudo room meeting for conflict resolution:
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association#Section_3.2_Conflict_Resolution

Also, a reminder that tenants of 2141 Broadway who are not Sudo Room,
BAPS, Hair Candy, Sound Room, or Robert have no _right_ to access of
the common space - as is legally defined in their leases and unless
permission has been granted by sudo room. This was consensed upon at
last week's meeting.

[1] As it's written in our Articles
(https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association):

Section 5.1 Non-member access

    To empower members to deal with problematic non-members:
        Any member may deny non-members access to sudo room assets
(and require the non-member in question to vacate the physical space)
at any time, with no reason given, unless some other member currently
present in the space is willing to vouch for the non-member in
question as a guest.
        Before denying a non-member access (and requiring the
non-member in question to vacate the physical space), the member must
ask both the non-member and the members present in the space if any
member is vouching for the non-member as a guest.
        For a non-member, being denied access (and required to vacate
the physical space) is not a ban, and the non-member in question may
return after 12 hours.

Section 5.2 Domestic Use

The bay area is in the throes of a housing crisis. Despite the
abundance of resources (space, buildings, etc), the distribution of
those resources is unfair. For many it can be costly and difficult to
fulfill the basic human need of shelter. However, sudo room, as a
creative community and hacker space, must maintain a division between
habitation and usage of the space. As such the following are resolved:

    sudo room is not intended to be used for habitation or domestic
purposes.
    No-one is allowed to sleep in sudo room at any time.
    Any member can require that anyone sleeping in sudo room must
leave immediately.
    Repeated sleeping at sudo room is grounds for being temporarily or
permanently denied access to sudo room's assets, including its
physical space.

Also, a reminder that a core sudoroom value is:
7. Value safe space over ideology.

Let's keep our space a safe space for people to be, work, make, hack,
and meet!

Much love,
Jenny
http://jennyryan.net
http://sudomesh.org
http://thevirtualcampfire.org
http://technomadic.tumblr.com

- -Laurie Anderson

"Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining
it."
 -Hannah Arendt

- -Stéphane Mallarmé