[sudo-discuss] BAVC Interns @ Sudo Room?

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 00:34:43 PDT 2014

Wrote a draft message, maybe I'll just throw it out to you to see if folks
have feedback. Maybe we could expand the list and change the language?

Hi Carrie,

Sudo Room, and especially one of our sister projects, Sudo Mesh (
https://sudomesh.org/ launching https://peoplesopen.net/) have some
generally interesting, technically-challenging, and media-related projects
underway (as well as stacks on the back-burner).

We also have some participants in these projects who are (and yet others
may be) wiling to mentor or collaborate with folks like Ibo and Yukai.

Based on their profiles, it seems that Sudo Room and Sudo Mesh aren't
exactly the ideal internship choices as they've expressed. However, if they
have any interest in working on something they see that we focus on,
especially from the items listed below, or if they have other creative
ideas, we can talk further:

   1. Community-run wireless networks
      1. Local network applications (anything that runs on a local network)
      2. Mobile phone applications (such as locating closest public Wifi
      router)
      3. Decentralized systems (data storage, communication, such as useful
      in event of disaster)
      4. Automation tools (for development, maintenance, and efficiency of
      network deployment)
      5. Firmware (based on OpenWRT)
      6. 3D / 2D Visualizations
      7. Outreach materials (e.g. design, graphics, front-end web projects,
      paper materials, creative media, etc)
   2. Decentralized identity management (i.e. working with Mozilla Persona)
   3. Open source hardware
   1. Additive manufacturing tools (3D printing)
      2. Subtractive manufacturing tools (CNC Mills)
      3. Microcontroller programming, sensors,  (e.g. arduino)
   4. Free / Libre / Open source software (FLOSS)
      1. Wide range of options, we work often with FLOSS software
      generally, so open to ideas and opportunities.
   5. Physical access control systems
   6. Systems Administration
      1. Local network infrastructure (focus on any component of interest,
      from ground up)
      2. Local network services (applications, local devices, etc)
      3. Remote server administration.
   7. Security
      1. Secure data storage
      2. Encrypted communication
      3. Outreach materials (similar to above)
      4. Auditing / risk assessment
   8. Educational materials
      1. Based on any items above or relevant topic.

- Matt