[sudo-discuss] Workshop on anarchist approaches to feminism

sky scroeser at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 09:52:33 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been talking to Yar about having an introductory talk/workshop on
anarchist approaches to feminism at the Sudo Room on 22nd June. It would
be aimed at a 101 level - my plan for this was primarily to fill a gap
that I often see with many people coming to feminism through
dissatisfaction with the tech community, and therefore not having access
to some of the radical histories and frameworks that might be useful.

I've included a provisional overview and brief bio below. I'm open to
suggestions about what time would be best (Yar suggested afternoons are
better), and about how to make the workshop a useful contribution to the
Sudo Room. I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have. If
this seems like late notice to pull together the workshop and advertise
it, but people are still interested, another option is for me to give it
in September, when I'm next in the Bay Area.

best,
sky.

Anarchafeminism 101
This workshop is a brief introduction to anarchist strands of feminism.
It aims to provide an overview of the history and concepts that underpin
anarchafeminism, and to open up discussion about how anarchafeminist
approaches might be useful today. Reclaiming our radical histories
provides us with vital resources. For those frustrated with mainstream,
predominantly liberal or neo-liberal feminism, anarchafeminism offers
helpful frameworks for thinking about class, race, gender relations,
organising methods, and feminists' relationship to the state.

About me:
I'm a teacher, researcher, and activist currently based in Toronto. My
work focuses on how activists use and shape technology, and about how to
build possibilities for radical social change. You can find out more
about me here: http://skycroeser.net

--
I'm a researcher, teacher, and activist working at the intersection of
social change and technology. You can find out more about my work at