[sudo-discuss] The New Server Room

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Fri Jun 20 11:44:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:17 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For something the size of the Omni, with half a dozen doors or more that
> different sets of people may need to have access to, I think it makes sense
> to invest in a commercial lock system. Key pad locks, preferably remotely
> programmable, and with a reasonably sophisticated access control system so
> different groups can independently give access to different sets of doors.
>

> Reed Brothers on Shattuck & 45th is a good resource for stuff like this,
> and they're walking distance from the Omni. I'd guess something like the Schlage
> AD-200 or 400
> <http://us.allegion.com/Products/electronic_locks/Pages/default.aspx>
> series of locks, but they should be able to advise on what will fit our
> situation best.

My experience with commercial systems for access management is that they
are inflexible and difficult to integrate with other software (which is
essential for us). We should definitely invest in good electronic locks and
outdoor-capable keypads / magnetic card / rfid, but we absolutely must be
able to write our own software that gets asked "is this a valid code/card"
and answers back. Anything else will hamper our ability to automate.
Basically what I'm saying is: Any access control system that requires us to
use proprietary software to maintain or configure who gets access will not
work for us.

The system at 2141 has been notoriously unstable, but that is mostly
because no-one has felt compelled to spend the money/hours to fix it (due
in large part to people thinking we were leaving and not feeling ownership
or many positive feelings at all towards the space). Since I haven't really
taken on anything omni-related for a long time, I can take the lead on
access control for the new space and ensure that we have a good system that
works for everyone.

--
marc/juul