[sudo-discuss] New West Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their new computer lab

Ed Biow biow at riseup.net
Sat Jun 21 17:20:55 PDT 2014

I wonder if the Center has tried to contact OTX West?  Their mission is
to supply the youth of Oakland with computers.
http://www.otxwest.org/

I've gone to them when trying to collect peripherals and computer cords
to send to Cuba, Bolivia & Haiti, they are nice folks.  I haven't paid
them a visit since XP became unsupported, I wonder what OS they are
blowing on the machines these days.

As noted, the ACCRC is also a resource.  They give away a lot of
machines, even if James Burgett can be a prickly codger. (Infomed-USA
used to also get hardware from him before we somehow pissed him off).

If we want to send machines to the Youth Center I think we should check
the machines out first (run smartmontools and memtest for HD & memory)
and blow Linux onto them (those old machines probably won't handle Win7
(even if we had licenses) and anyway we should be encouraging use of
open sores). I can help with the hardware analysis and have figured out
a good way to blow a standard customized Linux image onto old boxen.
http://redobackup.org/

On the issue of giving computers to deserving folks, the Pastors For
Peace are sending down their 25th convoy of material support to Cuba,
they are coming through in mid-July.  This year they are trying to get
building materials and bike in particular.  I'm planning on sending a
dozen or so computers. Contact me if you are interested in donating.
biow at cubasolidarity.net
http://www.ifconews.org/node/1439

San Jose, California
Event Date: Sunday, July 13, 2014 Route B
Details:

Main contact person: Shelby Minister
Contact phone number: 408-297-2299
Contact email address: coordinator at sanjosepeace.org
Event description: Food : Potluck ! Entertainment:
TBA
Location: 48 S. 7th St. San Jose,
AC
Time: 4: 00 pm

Once things have settled down a bit at the new location I'm going to
propose having a regular Linux InstallFest at the sudoroom, maybe
Fridays (so I can duck out and pick up my pizzas and bring some back to
the room) or perhaps after the Cryptoparties.  I've got a collection of
installation ISOs on DVD/CDs and USB sticks
(http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/
Multisystem is a good way to get multiple ISOs on to a single USB
stick). I can also set up a proxy to locally mirror deb archives for
faster downloads and updating.  I use approx these days, but am also
familiar with apt-cacher.  squid-deb-proxy sounds intriguing, as well,
and I wouldn't mind trying to set that up.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/3503/best-way-to-cache-apt-downloads-on-a-lan
I think it would be good to have a standard time when folks could come
to the room to get help with their open source issues from those of us
who have been riding the GNU for a while now.

Alright, time to get off of my vertical smile and see how many
receptacles I can find for the great enboxening.

>    2. Re: New West Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their
>       new computer lab.... (Steve Berl)
>    3. Re: New West Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their
>       new computer lab.... (Hol Gaskill)
>    4. Re: New West Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their
>       new computer lab.... (Ian McKellar)
> Message: 2 Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:33:20 -0700 From: Steve Berl
<steveberl at gmail.com> To: DjNeon Leon <nlrock21167 at gmail.com> Cc:
sudo-discuss <sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org> Subject: Re:
[sudo-discuss] New West Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their
new computer lab.... Message-ID:
<CAB4gGnd3SzSwoRKPEMZifsO+ERpC0_vVW4QJWt2FgVn39yySyg at mail.gmail.com>
http://www.ewastecollective.org/wordpress/?page_id=302 On Thu, Jun 19,
2014 at 11:48 PM, DjNeon Leon <nlrock21167 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> it's neon leon
>> hey just to give you heads up,
>> and a question i have for you
>> have you heard about the brand new west oakland youth center that just
>> opened on on the mcclymonds high school campus?
>> well catch this
>> they have a brand new computer lab but NO COMPUTERS yet because of
funding
>> i just saw it on the news not but fifteen minutes ago where they said
they
>> didnt have any money to buy computers
>> and the funding wouldnt allow them to buy any
>> so i was talking to max and he told me sudoroom has a pile of desktops
>> sitting next to the door
>>  Sent at 11:37 PM on Thursday
>>  me:  do you think that sudoroom could donate those computers to the
>> youth center computer lab and who would i talk to about getting them
there.
>>  we could get them ready and get them online maybe
>> it would be a really good thing for sudo and a fantastic thing for the
>> kids in the community if this could happen...
>> hit me back and let me know--much love, [image: :-)]  DjNeonLeon
>>  Marina:  hey leon! probably best would be to email the listserv (
>> sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org) and/or to drop by the meeting next wed.
>> i gotta go to bed now, but that's what i would recommend
>>  Sent at 11:41 PM on Thursday
>>  me:  ok... I will do this for real thank you boo boo . i will see you
>> bat the meeting next wed.. oxoxoxoxox .. nlrock ..
>>  Marina:  night
>>  me:  night .. [image: :-)]
>>  Sent at 11:43 PM on Thursday

> -- -steve -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment
was scrubbed... URL:
<http://lists.sudoroom.org/pipermail/sudo-discuss/attachments/20140620/53975838/attachment-0001.html>
------------------------------ Message: 3 Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014
17:30:59 +0000 (UTC) From: Hol Gaskill <hol at gaskill.com> To:
steveberl at gmail.com Cc: nlrock21167 at gmail.com,
sudo-discuss at lists.sudoroom.org Subject: Re: [sudo-discuss] New West
Oakland Youth Center needs computers for their new computer lab....
computers at the space that we'd love to put in the hands of Oakland
kids - I am not sure what state they are in, but they are there and no
one has stated any interest in setting them up at the space. We also
have lots of peripherals that could be of use in a computer lab. Is
there someone with the school who can come and help sort through them
and find/put together working ones this weekend? We will be moving soon
so getting those computers over to the youth center in the next week
would be great. Cheers, Hol on Jun 20, 2014, Steve Berl