[sudo-discuss] Use of the term "sleeper"

"Løng$hanks" longshanks at spaz.org
Tue Jun 24 15:51:36 PDT 2014

On Tue, June 24, 2014 3:34 pm, Charley Sheets wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:35:36 -0700
> Vicky Knox <vknoxsironi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want to open up a conversation on the use of the term "sleepers".
>> I'd like to propose that we use wording like "Qwerty was found
>> sleeping" (which describes an act that Qwerty did), rather than
>> calling them a "sleeper" (which ascribes a quality to Qwerty). I
>> believe that the latter creates an otherizing effect and is counter
>> to my sense of Sudo Room's dedication to inclusivity.
>
> +1, and well said.

+2. As a member of the frequently unconscious community myself, I applaud your sensitivity. I
myself am hopelessly addicted to sleeping & engage in this activity nearly every single
night, but when the hateful epithet "sleeper" is thrown at me, I feel most degraded.

+11+

--
Not all who wander are lost.