[sudo-discuss] Impromptu mushroom foray tomorrow, Leona Heights/Merritt College

Peter Werner germpore at sonic.net
Sun Mar 9 17:58:59 PDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Impromptu mushroom foray tomorrow, Leona Heights/Merritt
College
Date: 2014-03-09 17:57
 From: Peter Werner <germpore at sonic.net>
To: Merritt Microscopy list <MerrittMicroscopy at yahoogroups.com>, BAMS
List <BayAreaMushrooms at yahoogroups.com>, Nerds for Nature BioBlitz group
<nfn-bioblitz at googlegroups.com>, Ron Felzer <rfelzer at peralta.edu>,
Loralei Dewe <lldewe at gmail.com>

Hi - I'll be leading a mushroom foray in Leona Heights Park and perhaps
the main portion of Merritt College campus tomorrow (Monday) at 10 AM to
Noon. It's a short-notice, strike-while-the-iron-is-hot event, scouting
out the possibility of a more formal and widely-announced event next
week.

Meeting place: York Trailhead, across Campus Drive from Merritt College.
Map here: https://goo.gl/maps/CJw08
NOTE: The first part of the foray is "Leona Heights Park", NOT "Leona
Canyon Regional Open Space", the latter of which has a trailhead on the
other side of Merritt College, a considerable source of confusion. Leona
Heights Park is a benignly neglected property of City of Oakland, and
generally a place where amateur naturalists can operate without official
sanction. Various Merritt classes take advantage of its proximity as a
site for nature walks.

Afterward (noon) - for those who are interested, I might be able to lead
a small group through mushroom microscopy at the Merritt College
Microscopy classroom if there is interest.

For those who are not familiar with wild mushrooms in California - wild
mushroom fruiting follows a definite seasonal pattern, analogous to the
large scale blooming of flowering plants during a given time in Spring,
and is variable dependent on weather conditions during a given year. The
majority of mushrooms in California fruit in late Autumn, after the
first large rains of saturated the dry soil, and generally before
temperatures become their coldest. Smaller fruitings of often different
species of mushrooms generally follow through Winter and into Spring.

This year, due to extremely unusual weather conditions, we are having a
full scale fruiting of fall mushroom species some 3 months late. We are
probably at the peak of our mushroom season now, and it may or may not
extend further depending on if more rain will come in the next week or
not.

Peter