[sudo-discuss] Banning Xavier

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:41:04 PDT 2014

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014-03-12

Conflict Resolution

There is a conflict between Elliott and Xavier.

   - Elliot: Tuesday night, 11 March. Elliot said something about a friend
   of Xavier (your friend sexually assaulted my friend), Xavier took umbrage
   and asked if E wanted X to jump on him or for X to call the police. This
   was a verbal exchange. They were separated; X was asked to leave. E is
   uncomfortable in X's presence. E seeks a conflict mediation that allows
   them to be in separate spaces during the mediation; also that X should be
   excluded from the Sudoroom until E feels safe again. E feels that he was
   threatened with violence.
   - Xavier: To E: "I'm sorry for what you felt last night." X asked to
   talk about what E said. E asked what X wanted to talk about X's friend. E
   defamed X's friend. X said not to defame X's friend/family (i.e. calling
   the friend a rapist). X continued to defend his friend in a strong manner.
   - yar: did you threaten to jump him or call the police? Xavier: "maybe,
   maybe not, but he defamated my family"
   - Jeremy was there and tells his version: X came in, wanted to "make an
   appointment with E." E said no. Conversation happened. E: "he's a sexual
   abuser" X: "don't talk about my friend that way or i'm gonna kick your
   ass." Something about "any other action being a consequence of law" (?)
   Entire exchange lasted a minute. No physical interaction.
   - Elliot says he de-escalated by walking away
   - Xavier feels threatened by the idea of a mediation where he can't come
   to Sudoroom. He said "you don't know what jail is". Elliot takes this as
   "an additional threat to have [him] in prison."
   - Dwight reports on issues at RPS. A conflict happened which seemed
   potentially violent but did not escalate to physical violence. They're
   making a code of conduct now because they've never had this issue before.
   - Elliot: "X threatened a member of RPS with physical violence" Dwight
   agrees.
   - Xavier: "I don't want to be cowardly attacked, if you want to call a
   time and place". There is debate over whether this was a threat to violence
   or an invitation to talk.
   - A lot more conversations happened. Elliot left. Yar asked Xavier to
   leave and he left a few minutes later.
   - yar objects to X's rape apologism, manipulative topic-changing,
   ideation about violence and dominance, and general lack of accountability.
   At this point multiple people feel unsafe with him.
   - Not enough quorum to ban?

This seems to me like a discussion was had.  I was just pointing out that
before you agree to mediation.  I don't know either party so I cannot
really comment.

--
Ronald Cotoni
Systems Engineer