[sudo-discuss] Banning Xavier

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Fri Mar 14 01:26:27 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Hol Gaskill <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:

> hey ronald and all,
>
> i am honestly not up to speed on the details - these are the meeting notes
> from last week https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014-03-05 and i
> see nothing on this topic nor did i see this emailed out as is required for
> consent agenda items.  If i recall, a considerable amount of hivemind time
> was taken up in establishing conflict resolution standards.  If these are
> not being met by those prosecuting, what does that say about our
> organization?  I don't really have a stake in this other than following
> through on what we say we do, as outlined in our articles of association
> (or incorporation)

I agree that conflict resolution should take place, but I also think it is
not acceptable for Xavier to be allowed in the space until the mediation
has completed successfully or he has been banned. This is obviously not an
isolated incident, but at least two incidents with threats of violence and
multiple witnesses. This goes beyond a personal conflict. If we allow
Xavier into our space until this has been resolved, then we are not abiding
by our commitment to safe space.

We should work to modify our articles such that we can immediately deal
with incidents where there is violence or threats of violence.

I think it is important that our values can overrule our procedures, which
then can lead to changed procedures. Matt proposed something similar for
the articles recently, to the effect of "our rules cannot be used against
us".

It is not ok that not having quorum can prevent the temporary exclusion of
an individual threatening violence.