[sudo-discuss] shotspotter will be discontinued

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:33:12 PDT 2014

Very interesting! That $264,000/yr fee does seem outrageous - once the
system is installed, there should be relatively little maintenance to keep
it running.

I wonder if the company will be disabling or retrieving the microphones
when the contract ends. It's possible the city is only "leasing" the
equipment. Or that the company has build in some sort of self-destruct to
prevent cities taking over the network without them...

FWIW, I do think ShotSpotter is a useful technology, but it needs to be
designed with some ethical issues in mind (e.g. not collecting and
transmitting more information than is required for its stated purpose). I
think that Sudo Room taking over and overhauling the existing network in a
completely open-source fashion would be a great thing to do. That way
people could satisfy themselves that the technology only does what it
claims to do.

Patrik