[sudo-discuss] Evictions in California

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:11:41 PDT 2014

Jehan, and everybody

I don't really have an opinion about the evictions/ rent control side of
the story, but I do feel strongly about the difficulty of building new side
of the story.

It turns out that having real live humans that want to see more housing
built appear at planning commission hearings in support of specific
projects is Super Helpful. I made an organization about it. SF Bay Area
Renters Federation. (get it!?)

Here is the website I made: www.sfbarf.org.
Here is our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BARentersFed

100 units here, 50 units there, people are trying to build in SF, and many
projects are abandoned or downsized because NIMBY neighbors show up to the
planning dpt opposing the new construction. The people that benefit from
new construction are dispersed. We complain about the housing crunch on FB,
and on message boards, but we usually don't know when and where to show up
to make an effective statement.

I'm trying to change that!!!

This Thursday - March 27th - we are going to the planning commission around
1:30 in the afternoon to support 96 new units at 3rd and Mariposa in
Dogpatch.

If you work for yourself, make a date and come with me please! If you work
for someone else, take a beautiful afternoon off! (that's what I'm doing)