[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

Hol Gaskill hol at gaskill.com
Fri Mar 28 12:10:20 PDT 2014

>To be clear, it is women, people of color, queers and other oppressed
>groups who have struggled to be supported and represented at Sudoroom.
>I feel like saying the organization has struggled is a rhetorical
>erasure that adds to this problem. There are actually a lot of us, but
>we face a structural bias.

I would like to hear more about what we can do to change the structure of the organization to be less biased, then implement all changes seen as necessary corrections

>> Additionally, I think there may be some misunderstanding about what having an open
>knowledge, commons-oriented set of agreements. The logic of open knowledge systems
>is to celebrate the spread of these norms as they become more widely adopted - concern
>about 'copying and pasting' seem to perpetuate an exclusive rights kind of thinking.
>
>Pretty sure Hol was being tongue-in-cheek. As I said in reply at the
>meeting, "it's more of a ctrl-x"

So my small comment at the meeting "they're ctrl-v-ing the shit out of us" implied that their written aims seem to emulate ours in copypasta tradition - clearly their structure does not emulate ours.  I'm all for a straight ctrl-v with all due forkiness leading to a plurality of likeminded organizations.  the best analogy i can think of is that they compress our animation into a 128p gif, integrate with social media, and put it behind a paywall.  i have nothing against the hub and i have at least one friend who is a photographer that i believe is a member there, so there must be some value to those who participate, for example if you want to run a small freelance business and need a place to meet clients, or if you want to do serious networking on a pay for play basis.  our sudo system is free with benefits cumulatively supplied by the efforts of individuals who participate in the community and theirs seems to be more small scale capitalist co-working and networking from what i understand, so there is nothing inherently wrong with that kind of model.  They also do seem to bring in alot of attention from higher profile people in the local community, which is good for the people who want that I guess.  To me personally it does seem overvalued but these are really my 1.5-2 cents on the issue.

cheers