[sudo-discuss] Startup House

Phil Wolff pwolff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:21:04 PDT 2014

So here's the pitch:

You want to come to Silicon Valley and be a successful founder while you're
still young, hungry, and unencumbered?

You'll need a place to stay, great network connectivity, partners (this is
a team sport), connections, and mentors. Location matters: you'll want
ready access to neighborhood conveniences; to San Francisco, Palo Alto, and
San Jose tech/finance hubs; to parking and transit.

If you're admitted to the Acme House: You'll get...

   - 24x7 immersion in startup culture, just the way Facebook started.
   - Great bandwidth, food, whiteboard walls, projectors, infinite
   post-its, and everything you need to focus
   - Serious networking opportunities within the house, the better to find
   partners
   - Access to an angel network and other outside networking opportunities
   - Weekly check-ins with our incubator-vetted mentors

We limit the time you can spend here. We expect you to graduate to your own
space inside a year.

Here's the reality:

   - This is more expensive than a simple real-estate play. You're writing
   checks for recruiting, project staff, common facilities, and housekeeping
   (frat house squalor) above and beyond rent. You're selling
   rent+incubatorship+camaraderie and have to make that case. Most houses or
   apartment buildings in Oakland need some expensive retrofitting to get high
   bandwidth and enough power and outlets. Fiber is relatively unavailable
   (although San Leandro has local fiber loops). Depending on where you
   locate, working things out with neighbors and City permits can be time
   consuming and costly.
   - The money comes
   - from tenants (charging a big premium to people relatively unwilling to
      pay it) or
      - from investors (who subsidize the house in exchange for equity or
      rights to equity) or
      - from collateral sources (producers of a reality TV show; sponsors
      who seek some marketing advantage).
      - You have to fight expensive churn: very high startup failure rates
   drive tenants out, there's drama from close quarters, and tenants move out
   if they find outside funding or co-founders living elsewhere in the Bay.
   Normal landlords seek long term tenants who pay on time without fuss.

So it's tough.

It would really help if the house has a tight focus. B2B Growth Hacks
startups. Neurochem tech startups. Wearables/fashion/QS consumer startups.
Health/clinical startups. This assures a more valuable space design (e.g.
arduino startups would need a good hacker space) more synergy, better
chances of connections having value, and an easier time attracting
partners, investors, media.

- Phil

Phil Wolff

pwolff at gmail.com