[sudo-discuss] membership reboot?

Eddie Che eddiemill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:29:09 PDT 2014

ew, don' tripp - aren't there better coding to work on?

Sudo Room is an open, non-hierarchical, collaborative community of
humans, including tech developers, citizen scientists, activists,
artists--and all combinations in between and beyond!--who are
interested in and working towards social change. Our goal is to create
the first inclusive, dedicated hackerspace in downtown Oakland, to
share ideas and projects in citizen science, digital citizenship and
literacy, environmental sustainability, community engagement, and
self-government.

Sudo Room is committed to access, empowerment, transparency, and
public/social good. Sudoers have a great diversity of interests and we
emphasize respect and solidarity among ourselves and with others.

And from https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association/Membership

 Membership includes 24/7 access to the space with a personal access
method, for example code and/or rfid. (Which is, minimum of 10
"dollars" per month)

    Unanimous consent

Non-members can use the space as much as they want when other members
are present, but cannot access the space when no members are there and
have to leave when the last member leaves.

    Discussion, mostly vibe-y

To empower members to deal with problematic non-members, non-members
can be thrown out at any time by a member if that members feels that
the non-member is being a problem, _unless_ some other member present
in the space is willing to vouch for the non-member as a guest.
Non-members being asked to leave must be told that they can further
discuss the incident at a Wednesday meeting or on the mailing list.

    Discussion: Some way of logging the incident?

Like some people went into the public school room and locked
themselves in.... https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sleepers

SYNHAK Akron:
We exist as a free public resource. If you have an idea that needs
realized, it can happen at SYNHAK.

Hackerspace Santa Barbara:
After having tools stolen by a guest, they made it so that a guest has
to leave when the last member does for the night. I went with my
sleeping bag down the street a ways.
IF YOU ARE STEALING TOOLS FROM A FREE TOOL SHOP YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Saw another one that was that they have 12 members who are financially
soluble, and then encourage free users to come by and use the space.
That they're set. ACCESSIBILITY

Would be even better if one had a treehouse. Or develop the
hackerspace to not have rent.

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Hacking_hackerspaces

Alternative society: it's like this : https://soundcloud.com/nebulous-nymph

It's like this: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/mesh -