[sudo-discuss] lulzbot TAZ 3d printer is dead

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu May 1 00:31:56 PDT 2014

so i spent all evening (and some of last night) to finally spool up the
gigantic pile of black filament for the TAZ 3D printer.

i finally got it hung from the wall with a dust cover over it and ready to
feed smoothly into the printer, and then i discovered that the heating
element in its extruder head is dead.

oh well.

so, we need a new resistor to go in there.  I don't know what the original
spec is, but since the whole thing runs on 24VDC and assuming 24 watts of
heat, that would be a 24 ohm resistor or so.

Is someone other than me interested in contacting Lulzbot and asking
whether they want to send us a new resistor, or if they can tell us what
part number of resistor we should get as a replacement?

-jake

P.S. yes i tested the resistor and it's dead, infinite ohms, it's burned
out.  When we get a replacement we can glue it in there better than they
apparently did.  If the glue goes bad it dies.