[sudo-discuss] anti-surveillance mask: not so easy...

GtwoG PublicOhOne g2g-public01 at att.net
Thu May 15 20:41:11 PDT 2014

Yo's-

As of a few years ago, one of the state-of-the-art techniques for
computer face recognition utilized the geometry of the distances and
angles between the "seven holes" on a face: the eyes, nostrils, mouth,
and ears.  These are attributes that can't be altered without resorting
to very hardcore surgery.

For a mask of this type to be effective, it has to:

a) Allow only the wearer's eyes to be seen (because the wearer has to be
able to see out).
b) Be worn with a hood or a hat that covers the entire ears e.g. a knit cap.
c) Have no "holes" for the wearer's nose or mouth.

In addition the wearer should also wear reflective sun glasses to
obscure their eyes.

Even the eyes, by themselves, might be usable for unique identification
from a distance, if the details of the iris can be picked up by a
suitable camera.  Even without the iris, eyes might be usable based on
distances and angles: distance between pupils, angles between corners of
eyes relative to vertical and horizontal planes, any degree of
consistent variation in the "aim" of the eyes, etc.  Reflective sun
glasses are always a good idea.

A few other things that come to mind:

Dust masks and similar anti-viral (N-95) face masks (it's not a mask,
it's flu/allergy/whatever season!).  Freedom-of-religion claims, to wear
certain types of clothing that have the effect of masking one's face
(one doesn't need to believe in a deity in order to exercise freedom of
religion).  Burqas for men (also a statement of solidarity with women
who wear the burqa either as a freely-chosen expression of Muslim
identity or as the outcome of being denied the choice to do otherwise by
patriarchial culture).  Face paint and similar makeup that obscures
facial details in the manner of the "artistic" Naval camouflage used in
WW1.  Earphones of the oldschool over-the-ear style that cover the ears
(it's not a mask, it's music!).  Certain types of occupational safety
gear such as hard hats and welders' face shields.  Wigs and other
hairpieces.  Motorcycle helmets and ultra-safe bicycle helmets that look
like motorcycle helmets.

Ideal case, a "look like someone else" face mask that can be worn from a
headband so it can be flipped up easily when needed; and the headband
can be concealed under a hood or hat.

Cheers-

-G

Boycott GMAIL: