[sudo-discuss] WOSP – City of Oakland’s Plan for Gentrification: A Target For Anti-Displacement Activity : Indybay

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:17:29 PDT 2014

On Saturday, May 17, 2014, Andrew Lowe <andrew at lostways.com> wrote:

> Sonja, no one is saying we shouldn't build new housing. But, this has
> nothing to do with population increases. Its about attracting more people
> from the outside to Oakland and attracting not just more people, but more
> rich people.
>

> The causation is backwards here. The rich people are coming/ here no
matter what. THATS WHY developers and cities want to build. They see an
opportunity and they want to take advantage of it. Cities are playing the
long game: all cities go through periods of investment and growth then
years of disinvestment and abandonment.

We live in the result of yesterday's, yesterday's growth. The building I
live in is 150 years old.

Capital wants to build. Money is here trying to turn into infrastructure
and housing. There is no other way this stuff gets built other than through
private capital. Even when cities build things, what do they do? They float
bonds - private capital has to decide a city is worth investing in.

Let them build. The crash will come. The money, the bullshit app, will
disappear. The new housing will still exist.

> There is no need to build expensive condos on San Pablo . no one in the
> neighborhood wants that but the landlords. A long time resident (more than
> 30 years I believe) on my block ( which is in this plan) was just evicted
> and the landlord for another place on the street is trying to raise the
> rent 50% in order to kick out my friends so he can build lofts.
>
> Suburban living is the solution to population increase,

What