[sudo-discuss] WOSP – City of Oakland’s Plan for Gentrification: A Target For Anti-Displacement Activity : Indybay

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Sat May 17 12:37:00 PDT 2014

It's not pro development - it asks for a thing that is impossible.  The
thing they want is not on offer.

The thrust of the article is "stop the WSOP." The WSOP makes development
easier. You can't be pro development and anti a way for it to happen.

This isn't my first rodeo. The only result of this kind of rhetoric is to
slow and stop some building. Then the city is poorer for not having been
able to fully take advantage of the wave of capital.

Look at sf - people have been blocking apartment building for decades. What
has it got us? The buildings these people's predecessors blocked in the 60s
and 70s would be 40 and 50 years old now. A lot of it would be rent
controlled. We have less affordable housing now due to this type of
political rhetoric and organizing than we would have had with out it.