[sudo-discuss] WOSP – City of Oakland’s Plan for Gentrification: A Target For Anti-Displacement Activity : Indybay

Sonja Trauss sonja.trauss at gmail.com
Sat May 17 18:21:51 PDT 2014

Yeah all apartment buildings have that built in a little as you noticed:
different sized units for different prices.

Also, just encourage construction of all housing no matter the final
planned price point. Like all products, the new version is the most
expensive. The best middle income housing is the past's luxury housing.
The house I live in is 150 years old, my car is 23 years old, as it should
be, I'm mid-low income.
There are tons of high income people here and tons of new high income
people coming all the time. They want to pay a lot for things! They can
afford it and it makes them feel nice. As long as we build enough new, high
end stuff to satiate that part of the market, we don't have to worry that
our middle low income housing will be invaded.
What if they accidentally build too much high priced housing? That would be
great. That would be winning the lottery - they would cut prices on the
extra units until they got tenants. That's what happened in Phila after the
crash in 2008 and around here after the crash in the 90s.

The other way to make new build less expensive is to make it cheaper to
build. You're seeing a selection bias - if it costs $250/ sq ft to build,
no new thing will be sold for less than that. If it costs $100/sq ft to
build, then you will see projects that will sell for less.

The part of the building costs that are under the control of regular
citizens - maybe the fees and taxes the local municipality charges, and
definitely the costs that are incurred by a long drawn out entitlement
process.

This is what is so ironic and sad about the WOSP opposition. The specific
plan is a blanket EIR, so that builders can build more quickly (and
therefore cheaply). The opposition, if successful, would make building take
longer and be more expensive. So, selection bias, whatever gets built will
be the more expensive.