[sudo-discuss] [OpenOakland Brigade] FYI: Oakland Council voting tonight on new California TRANSPARENCY law

Eddie Tejeda eddie at codeforamerica.org
Thu May 22 09:26:50 PDT 2014

You all might recall the battle over AB 76
(refresher<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/openoakland/sSozjmDtDy8/G2wP0InZPjcJ>
).

I agree with you Miguel, this measure is not as clean cut as it seems. The
key part of the language is the following:

WHEREAS, California Proposition 42 on the June 2014 *ballot would secure
the California Public Records Act and the Ralph M. Brown Act in the State
Constitution and relieve the State from paying for local governments' costs
of compliance *with these open government laws; now, therefore, be it

Ballotpedia describes it as:

*The initiative would result in a fiscal savings for the state government,
but would likely result in comparable revenue reductions to local
governments.*

What's interesting is that organizations, like EFF, support the bill. I
think it's because it ensures the local governments will comply and don't
have excuses for not participating, but I would preferred to required
compliance while also requiring the state to do better accounting for its
costs.

Technically, I believe this ballot measure won't affect Oakland. We already
have Sunshine Ordinance, inherits and expands the state's CPRA and Brown
Act and from what I've gathered, Oakland is not reimbursed by the state for
complying.

Eddie A. Tejeda
 @eddietejeda
2012 Fellow, Code for America