[sudo-discuss] Biotech 2.0: Rise of the Biohackers

Biotech Ryan ryan.bethencourt at gmail.com
Sat May 24 23:12:02 PDT 2014

Do you know of any tangible achievement of the biohacker community so far?

Yes, I know of a couple, after Biocurious was founded, John (the scientist
who originally built the garage lab that eventually became the basis for
Biocurious) went on to found Immunepath, raising capital from Peter Thiel
and founders fund. The science at Immunepath was interesting but they had
follow on financing challenges (not unusual in the biotech space), he's
also gone on to found Gene and Cell technologies to lower the cost of doing
biotech (which was one of the big issues he had with his first startup).

Several of the Early Immunepath employees went on to continue the
entrepreneurial path, including Kelsey who founded Ichor Therapeutics,
currently working on developing stem cell therapeutics

Glowing Plants was also founded at Biocurious which was successful in
raising approximately $500k and appears to be leading the consumer biotech
boom.

Counter Culture Labs was co-founded by several former and current
Biocurious members and founders.

Bio, Tech and Beyond (down in Carlsbad) was founded by Joe, who despite
complaining a lot (we love you Joe) has been successful in creating a large
biotech incubator in Carlsbad.

Ron (my co-founder at Berkeley Biolabs), helped train up several people in
the lab to eventually get jobs in the biotech industry as researchers (a
lifelong dream for many).

Ron, Cameron, Kyle, Jay and I (all former BioC) co-founded Berkeley Biolabs
as the first biohacker accelerator, we've currently built 4 biohacker
companies and companies number 5 and 6 are on the way.

Journal Club - this was actually a project of Nina's which eventually
expanded out from Biocurious to include most of the US biohacker spaces and
for those that have attended became an invaluable place to discuss new
papers and new scientific research ideas.

Biocoder - Nina and Mike developed the concept and with support of the
community launched this quarterly newsletter which is being read globally
(beyond just the DIYBio mailing list)

Science isn't easy but that significant achievement is coming, we just
don't know when and from whom!