[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [omnilogistics] Fwd: [omnidelegates] Kazoo Introduction

Matthew Senate mattsenate at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:07:01 PDT 2014

fwd'd

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Keenan <dkeenan44 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Subject: [omnilogistics] Fwd: [omnidelegates] Kazoo Introduction
To: "omnilogistics at lists.riseup.net" <omnilogistics at lists.riseup.net>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Kazoo* <lovekazoo at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Subject: [omnidelegates] Kazoo Introduction
To: omnidelegates at lists.riseup.net

Hello Omni!

I am happy to be involved in this project!  The Thursday meetings are hard
for me to make because I have an intern who comes to my SF studio and gives
me free labor on Thursday evenings, but I will try to rearrange that with
her starting next week.  I have also been a little late to the game because
I have two other large projects starting that I had planned way before I
knew about the Omni- building a studio from the ground up in Oakland, and
writing and recording an album of my own music.  I have been planning this
six-month period from now until September for full-time engagement in those
two previous projects canceling my regular teaching schedule.  Ideally I
would love to stay involved in the planning process with the Omni through
the fall, but not begin my specific project within the space until the
November.  I'm not sure how that feels to all involved.  I welcome your
feedback.

Here is a quick synopsis of what I want to do with the Omni Project:

Creative Empowerment Project

CEP is a screen printing and collateral production studio that makes all
manner of printed media: tshirts, posters, book jackets, perfect-bound
books, business cards, CD and DVD packaging, and various graphic design.
 The space has several functions.  There will be a cooperative screen
printing space where coop members will pay a small monthly fee (maybe 50$)
to have 24hour access to the community screen printing space.  The screen
printing space will be equipt with 8 printing stations so that many people
may use it at the same time.  I currently bottom-line a space like this in
San Francisco where I have been screenprinting for the past three years.
 This will help cover our portion of the Omni rent.  There will also be an
Education/Vocation component to the space where people who are formerly
incarcerated, targeted by racism, or otherwise challenged to survive within
the oppressive economic/justice system can build capacity for
self-employment and group empowerment.  Participants in the E/V program
will learn the skills of screenprinting, digital design, layout,
cooperative business functions, and self-promotion through classes and
practice.  The E/V collective will take jobs in printing and production to
support its portion of the rent as well as paying its participants for
their labor.  Eventually I would like the E/V project to expand to include
people who are under 18, targeted by racism, and disengaged with the public
school system.  The E/V project will employ its own students, and hopefully
be taken over by those who have successfully completed the program.

As far as the space is concerned, I think this could happen anywhere in the
building, if it happens in the basement we would require some windows and a
separate entrance so the coop members could have 24hour access without
necessarily accessing the rest of the Omni building.

Looking forward,
Kazoo

*   please vote for my design:   *
*   http://www.independentmusicawards.com/imanominee/13th/Design