[sudo-discuss] Meeting Notes 10/29

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 10:55:20 PDT 2014

Announcements:
* New Board nominations begin in 20 days
* Marc Juul is our new treasurer
* We are cleaning and organizing sudo RIGHT NOW - come and help!
* Film night tonight!
* What we want and don't want: https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Donations

New Members
* For extended pondering: Claire - wants to run zine workshops! drawing,
crafts!
* For extended pondering: Trisha - also zines, excited about the sewing
machines :)
* Alex has been pondered, is now a member!

Money
* ~ $3700 in the bank, November rent and October shared expenses paid
($2340.86)
* Now making $570/week on Gratipay! New goal is $1K/week

Second Internet Line
* Jenny checking with Sonic.net about a second line

Backspace Proposal

Consensus on the backspace proposal:

   - As long as this is a 3 month trial period we agree to the proposal,
   with the following amendments:
      - backspace does not take the downstairs room and pays $750 per month
      instead.
      - backspace has no special privilege over any other member collective
      in accessing or regulating access to common space.
   - In addition: sudo room feels that backspace, being a for-profit
   renting private space, should be a tenant and not a member collective but
   we can discuss this over the next three months.

Conflict Resolution

   - Update on conflict with ban of person that Pigeon asked us to ban.
   Referred to as J.
      - Korl and Liz are finishing up an interview with one more person and
      they are leaning toward proposing a lift of the provisional ban of J we
      passed at a meeting earlier this month.
      - Korl and Liz are very interested in preventing blind solidarity
      (which seemed likely to occur unless someone spoke up),
especially without
      having both sides of the story, and as much information as
possible. We are
      also keen on working to help set a fair precident for situations
like this;
      that both sides of a story/ incedent are sought out by an
objective party,
      before Any decisions are made, to prevent social bias and blind
solidarity.
      - Important aspects: None of the people involved in the conflict are
      members of the Omni, and the conflict happened three years ago.
This issue
      was brought up by a person who is not part of the Omni and has been known
      to act untrustworthily and dishonestly, within the greater community.

   - Juul proposes a 1 month ban of person who was using a knife to attempt
   to open the omni door and when confronted was super rude, calling one of
   our members a bitch. Person was drunk. Juul and others kicked this person
   out yesterday and told him that him he was banned until it could be brought
   up at todays meeting where he could show up. He looked disheveled and was
   holding a can of beer but seemed otherwise reasonable and attempted to
   defend his attempt at opening the door as trying to demonstrate a security
   problem and said he wished to apologize to the person he was rude to.
      - Remote-Jenny votes yes on ban.
      - One abstention, rest approve. Passes.
      - Need to take a picture.

   - Proposal: Temporary Ban of Chris B (unspecified duration) for being in
   "bad standing" with regard to sudo room's values, specifically in
   disregarding the needs of the sudo room and omni communities with his use
   of the space above the stage (aka "crow's nest" aka "man cave"), as well as
   often attempting to sleep in the space, despite warnings, confrontations,
   and a clear expectation of it not being permitted.
      - During the BACH Unconference, Mitch Altman found Chris B sleeping
      under a sign in the basement that read "No Sleeping".
      - Amendment and consensus: Any further sleeping by ChrisB at Omni
      will result in an immediate temporary ban.

Notes recorded for posterity at:
https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2014-10-29

Jenny
http://jennyryan.net