[sudo-discuss] Gear from BioCurious up for grabs/sale

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:26:49 PDT 2015

I've let Eric know that we would definitely love to have both specs
(working or not), and the heat blocks. And that there is also interest in
the shaking incubator, shaking water bath, centrifuge, and the GC and
HPLCs. I may be able to bring over a few pieces Thursday evening already.

I think the Hitachi spec is a no-brainer, but I suspect folks at BioCurious
will want to keep it after all, after hearing Josiah's endorsement.

Should we get both the shaking incubator, and the shaking water bath? The
incubator is definitely the largest piece of the bunch (small fridge sized;
may not fit in my car), and needs a controller. Duane was working on
putting a new controller in, and may have some pointers. The shaking water
bath has been a workhorse piece of equipment at BioC for the past 4 years,
but also a source of frustration. Very easy to cross-contaminate, and since
it runs 24/7 something seems to break at least once a year.

For the GC and HPLCs, I feel like we need someone who knows these machines,
is willing to see to it that they get fixed up, and to train others to use
them. So far, Alan was the only one asking about these. Can I get a
definite "Yes, get them!" from anyone?

We should definitely not be collecting pieces of half-broken machinery that
nobody uses (see: acoustic microscope)...

Patrik