[sudo-discuss] event: Sunday 8pm - at SudoRoom & online

Romy Ilano romy at snowyla.com
Tue Aug 11 11:34:50 PDT 2015

https://sudoroom.org/events/screenshare-event-node-js-command-line-tool-analyzing-domestic-violence-in-oakland/

Hi, I'm going to do my first screenshare event, but you'll also be able to
attend live and in person!. This is my "project" from the cyberwizard
institute.

   - I will be conducting a super newbie tutorial on making command line
   tools in node.
   - we'll analyze data from Open Oakland - more specifically domestic
   violence in Oakland

[image: Learn how this picture relates to Set Theory Attribution:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_flott_Mucha_Alfons_Alphonse_-_8.jpg#mediaviewer/File:Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_flott_Mucha_Alfons_Alphonse_-_8.jpg]
<https://sudoroom.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/320px-Prague_Praha_2014_Holmstad_flott_Mucha_Alfons_Alphonse_-_8.jpg>

https://github.com/womenwhocodeoakland/oakland-data-with-node-js

I'll be doing a special screenshare with comments and drawings.

   - This is a super-newbie screenshare on how to set up a node.js
   command-line tool to parse data on domestic violence in Oakland using Open
   Data.
   - We'll be going over basic node concepts, parsing JSON
   - Best of all, by the end everyone will hopefully understand how to
   avoid grunt work and copy and paste in Excel. *Too many smart women with
   potential are trapped in dead end pink collar clerical, accounting and
   marketing jobs even though they are probably smart enough to learn to code
   and make the world a better place.  Even in non-profit volunteer
   organizations women tend to do a lot of clerical grunt work instead of
   having fun and being creators so this will hopefully tip the balance!*

Women Who Code Oakland Node.js Tutorial

This is a basic tutorial on Node.js using the command line. Benefits:

   - You can make a basic "networked" app
   - You can avoid doing clerical gruntwork and using horrible Excel Macros

written by a javascript newbie for Women Who Code Oakland / Women Who Code
East Bay http://www.meetup.com/Women-Who-Code-East-Bay/

*Women dominate clerical, lower-paid clerical jobs like entry level
accounting and secretarial work or lower-level marketing positions. They
live their lives in Excel sheets. Enabling them to learn basic coding and
taking advantage of their intelligence and potential will help make the
world a better place.*

Romy Ilano
romy at snowyla.com