[sudo-discuss] (no subject)

Charley Sheets rcsheets at acm.org
Wed Aug 12 19:29:26 PDT 2015

FFR, a relevant subject line is generally considered useful.

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 18:49:30 -0700
Robb Anonymous <sf99er at gmail.com> wrote:

> i received the following transmission today:
>
> "If you, or someone you know, is interested in Bitcoin mining & would
> like some *FREE* hardware...I have 600+ powered PCI-E 1x:16x riser
> packs.  Each pack contains a 1x:16x riserboard, a PCI-E daughter
> board, a power cable & a male:male usb cable.

Sounds like to use this, you'd need to supply lots of video cards and
electricity, and possibly some kind of housing to hold everything.

GPUs aren't very good at Bitcoin anymore. I've read that NVIDIA's
Maxwell family of chips is pretty good at Litecoin (though I have no
personal experience with this and I should also point out as a matter
of full disclosure that I work for NVIDIA, but of course I am not
speaking for NVIDIA).

Others may have more up-to-date information, but last time I checked
(roughly a year ago) it was not economical to mine Bitcoin using
anything but the best ASIC-based miners, and even then it was iffy
whether it was worth the electricity costs.
--
Charley Sheets