[sudo-discuss] Music resources

Anca Mosoiu anca at techliminal.com
Wed Jul 1 11:04:18 PDT 2015

Technical or creative ability has almost nothing to do with selling your
work to millions of people.  That's all about marketing.

It looks like to get on the Billboard top 10, your album would have to sell
(in places that measure sales) about 495,000 copies (based on my reading
this article:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6473126/billboard-200-drake-surprise-album-debuts-at-no-1-fifty-shades
).

In addition to learning to music, you might also consider researching how
various artists got into the top 10, who helped them along the way, and how
they managed to be noticed by those people.

Anyway, there's a bit of information about this on Quora if you want to get
into it:
https://www.quora.com/Breaking-Into-the-Music-Business/How-can-a-young-musician-become-signed-and-known

If you're too burnt out to think about marketing and social media, enjoy
the time you have to just make music!

Anca.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems> wrote:

> 'Time Capsuling' is happening soon. I suppose you're correct in that there
> hasn't been any strong media coverage, but nonetheless,
>
> -- I am seriously burnt out --
>
> Too burnt out to accept funding from a few folks who've offered it, even.
>
> -- I'm done, for an indeterminate period --
>
> Particularly, I'm looking for advice on melody composition. Playing the
> piano seems to limit me to jazzy-like melodies only, which isn't quite what
> I'm aiming for given I'd like to produce pop music.
>
> Also looking for nice sample packs, for trap/edm, etc.
> On Jun 30, 2015 11:36 PM, "Marc Juul" <juul at labitat.dk> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Adam Munich <adam at aperture.systems>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> No one gives a rat's ass about my mission to build cheap x-ray units
>>> for the unprivileged world
>>>

>> Almost no-one knows about it. You haven't even run a crowdfunding
>> campaign for it (which you should do just for the attention). I assure you
>> people (and the media) would care if you pitched it correctly with a nicely
>> made video. We have a film-makers collective at Omni you know.
>>
>> But maybe you _should_ take a long break from that project and do
>> something creative. One piece of advice though: Before you shelve it for
>> months/years take an hour to go through all of the files, write notes about
>> everything for future you and back them up offline in multiple locations.
>> Future you will thank past you.
>>
>> As far as music, I'm kinda looking for some music theory learning stuff
>> myself. Playing instruments is one thing, but composition is another. I
>> haven't found anything good.
>>
>> --
>> marc/juul

-=-=-=-