[sudo-discuss] EFF 25th Anniversary Minicon & CTF

William Budington bill at inputoutput.io
Tue Jul 14 09:39:53 PDT 2015

Hey Sudoers - come to this cool event on Thursday!  The CTF is going to be awesome, I helped engineer some of the challenges myself, so if you want to sign up for the challenge submit your team now - ctf at eff.org
Info is available at https://www.eff.org/event/eff-birthday-minicon and below I've formatted it to markdown cause why not

# EFF Anniversary Minicon
### July 16, 2015 - 12:00pm to 4:00pm
### DNA Lounge | San Francisco

As part of our 25th anniversary celebration, EFF is hosting a minicon that will include a security training, a capture-the-flag event, and a series of panels discussing the future of EFF issues in security, copyright and user control and online activism and speech. Tickets for the minicon, which runs from 12-4pm in the DNA Lounge, can be purchased separately or as a package with party tickets directly from DNA Lounge.

## Security Training

EFF Activist Nadia Kayyali will be on hand to provide practical privacy and security tips from 12:30-3, based on EFF's Surveillance Self-Defense project. Attendees will have two opportunities to go through threat modeling, with time for more hands-on tools and techniques discussions with Nadia and other EFF staff.

## Capture The Flag

Throughout the minicon, we will be hosting our first ever "Capture the Flag" hacking contest! Anyone present at the minicon will be eligible to participate in our 4 hour contest. The challenges will include web hacking, binary analysis, cryptography challenges, and more. Top competitors will receive special prizes! Participants should bring a laptop with linux or a virtual machine installed.

Space in the CTF is limited so please pre-register by sending an email with your team name and number of participants to ctf at eff.org. There is no official limit on team sizes but you will probably be asked to split up if your team is bigger than 3 people.

## Panel Schedule

Each panel will be moderated by an expert working on the issue at EFF. Each panel will be followed by a Q&A session:

 - 12:00 Welcome
 - 12:30 Panel I: Digital Activism and the Future of the Web as a Public Space, featuring Trevor Timm, Sina Khanifar, Annalee Newitz, and Amie Stepanovich.
 - 1:20 Break, discussion
 - 1:40 Panel II: Copyright and User Control, featuring Pamela Samuelson, Michael Masnick, Julie Ahrens Nelson, and additional guests TBA
 - 2:30 Break, discussion
 - 2:50 Panel III: Privacy and Security: The Next 25 Years, featuring Parisa Tabriz, Alex Stamos, Morgan Marquis-Boire, Bruce Schneier, and Deepti Rohatgi.
 - 3:40 Wrap-up and final discussion time

[Buy Tickets Now](https://www.dnalounge.com/calendar/2015/07-16.html)