[sudo-discuss] wheelchair motor controller

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jul 16 01:51:46 PDT 2015

if you put a 1 ohm resistance, you will just blow up the resistor.

24 volts divided by 1 ohm = 24 amps
24 volts times 24 amps = 576 watts

you need to find the highest number of ohms that will still cause the
motor controller to not give you an error.  Lets say you find that a 100
ohm resistor (in place of the missing motor) causes the controller to be
OK.  When you move the joystick, and it tries to turn the fake motor, it
will give it up to 24volts.  But it's a 100 ohm resistor.

24v / 100 ohm = 0.24 amps
24v * 0.25 amps = 5.76 watts

if it works with a 100 ohm, you should use that.  5.76 watts is
reasonable.  576 watts is most of a horsepower and is not reasonable.
5
in case you're not confused i'll tell you this:  the power a motor
consumes (from a fixed voltage source for example) depends on the amount
of force it's putting out.

So if you have a motor just spinning a wheel in the air it doesn't take as
much power as if you're making it grind grain, or push a fat person up a
steep incline.  The ohms you measure when you use a multimeter on the
stopped motor correspond to its MAXIMUM power, basically.

so if you stopped the motor and applied 24v, 576 watts would flow through
it and heat it up pretty fast.  But if you let it spin freely in the air,
its effective impedance would be much higher than 1 ohm!

as for how to isolate the motors for different jobs.. we can read the
manual on the control box and adjust the settings, or just hook up the
computer control and let it do all the work.  I don't know though.

-jake