[sudo-discuss] Fwd: Next steps for buying the Omni: 3 proposals from the fundraising working group

yar yardenack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:33:56 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: yar <yardenack at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Subject: Next steps for buying the Omni: 3 proposals from the
fundraising working group
To: "consensus at lists.omnicommons.org" <consensus at lists.omnicommons.org>

Hello Omni Commoners! Did you know that we could seriously buy the
Omni in the next few months? There are people with a lot of money who
want to give and/or lend it to us. All we have to do is create the
legal structures to make this happen. The fundraising working group
has been meeting for the past month to talk about the details, and
we're informally calling ourselves the "Buy the Building" working
group (aka the "Until the Revolution" working group). We meet on
Mondays at 6:30 PM. There are still many details to figure out, but
we're ready to make some initial proposals to the Omni delegates, to
be decided at the next scheduled delegates meeting, which is Thursday
August 6th:

PROPOSAL #1: The Omni community should decide if we actually want to
buy the building

PROPOSAL #2: The Omni should apply for federal 501c3 status

PROPOSAL #3: The Omni delegates should go back to meeting weekly.
There is a lot to do, and decisions will need to be made quickly.

We are going to have more proposals soon. In particular, we think the
land beneath the building should be given to a Community Land Trust.
But we don't have all the details ready for a formal proposal yet.

There's no delegates meeting scheduled tonight, but we will be meeting
at 7pm anyway to provide information and answer questions. Please
come. This is very important!