[sudo-discuss] help with laser cutting (& design) ?

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Tue Jun 9 22:18:04 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <patrikd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been meaning to design and laser cut a contraption for our Science
> Sideshow at the Cal Academy NightLive LIVE
> <http://www.calacademy.org/nightlife/nightlife-live-june> event this
> Thursday evening, but I'm rapidly running out of time.
>
> Anyone able to give me a hand?
>
> Basically, I found these vases that look just like giant test tubes - long
> cylinder with a rounded bottom. So now I want to make a giant test tube
> rack, and have them sitting at our booth with some food color and dry ice,
> steaming away. Would look awesome!
>
> I got about halfway through designing the thing in Inkscape, but I've
> never dealt with designing fasteners for plywood before. Needs to have a
> wide base so it doesn't tip over, but also needs to be hangable from a
> wall, so the base may need to be removable.
>
> If I were to order this through Ponoko, I'd probably go with something
> like their 1/4 inch amber bamboo plywood
> <http://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-material/226-bamboo-amber-3-ply>.
> Is there any plywood at Sudo? Recommendations for a good place to buy nice
> plywood?

There is some plywood at sudo room. I haven't tried cutting it, but I did
cut a design recently so I could show you the process. There's an online
guide for most of it (which assumes you have windows and illustrator) and
then there are only two tricky bits:

  * Focusing the laser (which I'm still not sure how to do reliably, I just
adjusted it while it was running until it looked ok)
  * Ensuring the pumps and end the external ventilation fan are running.

The two pumps are hooked directly into the printer. Just double-check that
the water is flowing through the water pump. The external ventilation fan
is inside of the vent tube that goes to the ceiling and just needs to be
plugged in before printing and unplugged when you're done.

Other than that I managed to laser cut just using the guide that's linked
from the sticker on the printer. One gotcha: The printer software will
refuse to operate without internet for no good reason (FUCK that company).
Oh and another thing: When importing stuff into illustrator some formats do
not retain their size. You can double-check this (and fix it) by enabling
rulers with ctrl+r then click and drag a ruler onto the work area to add
guide lines (which won't be printed). These can help you rescale your work
to the correct size, especially if you enable the "snap to guides" feature.

--
marc/juul