[sudo-discuss] Resources for music theory?

Autonomous autonomous666 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:10:50 PDT 2015

You may as well experiment with algorithmic composition. Here's a great
open source project for learning music theory:

Strasheela is a highly expressive constraint-based music composition
> system. The Strasheela user declaratively states a music theory and the
> computer generates music which complies with this theory. A theory is
> formulated as a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP) by a set of rules
> (constraints) applied to a music representation in which some aspects are
> expressed by variables (unknowns). Music constraint programming is
> style-independent and is well-suited for highly complex theories (e.g. a
> fully-fledged theory of harmony). User-interface is the programming
> language Oz. The results can be output into various formats including MIDI,
> Csound, and Lilypond.

https://github.com/tanders/strasheela

I also enjoy experimenting with csound, a software music synthesis system:
https://csound.github.io/