[sudo-discuss] [omni-discuss] Asked Egon to Leave

Marc Juul juul at labitat.dk
Sat Jun 13 04:59:28 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 9:12 AM, <hol at gaskill.com> wrote:

>  this is automatic but not binding on us, ie we adopt by default but can
> review and unban by consensus at sudo if we receive information that
> indicated it was not handled fairly.  there is one case recently where
> someone was banned at nb (not for safe space) and we decided to give it a
> shot but the same patterns were repeated.  i don't recall ever taking this
> matter up for anyone who was banned elsewhere for safe space violation.

To expand a bit: We decided to make it automatic (but only for safe space
bans) for four reasons (that I can remember):

1. When it comes to safe space violations it is better that we sometimes
auto-ban someone who shouldn't have been banned and fix it later, than that
we have a period where someone who should have been banned is allowed
access until we can meet and agree to ban.
2. We only have mutual ban policies with hackerspaces that we trust to ban
people sudo room would also have banned
3. We don't want to spend most of our meetings discussing problem
individuals (which is already a danger)
4. It would require getting someone from the other hackerspace to come to
our meeting to discuss the ban

--
marc/juul