[sudo-discuss] [Mesh] Looking for someone that would hold my hand and...

max b maxb.personal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:58:38 PDT 2015

I think one of the drawbacks to the raspi is that the ethernet port is
provided by a USB Ethernet adapter -- the ethernet port is actually on the
usb hub. Actually not really a drawback as long as you're not a. attempting
to access a usb device over the network or b. trying to get performance
over~80mbps. There are various reports around the internet that suggest
that w/ certain OpenVPN configurations the tp-link might be capable of
20-30mbps  and that the raspi might be capable of 30-50...

With the raspi I believe you've only got one 100mpbs ethernet port, so
you'd probably want to buy a usb ethernet adapter.

This is actually a question that we've been grappling with for a while.
With the rise of this broad array of embedded devices, we're really curious
about affordable mini-computers that could be attached to the mesh for a
variety of purposes. It would be terrific to connect a raspberry pi-like
device to the mesh and serve an own-cloud instance, or an etherpad, or
provide VPN services, or some sort of bulletin board, or provide a locally
cached version of wikipedia, or .....?. We've pre-ordered a couple of the
new tessel 2.0 boards (because we happen to enjoy javascript and because
they're a local company so we've gotta root for them). For more performance
routing and the like, the PCEngines are probably the next best option (and
we might consider them in locations where we'd like to actually do
encrypted tunneling for peoplesopen.net connections). I have access to a
couple soekris net650 routers, but the price point on those makes it pretty
out of our league for most purposes I think.

As always, we love to have as much up to date documentation as possible.
I'm not so much a fan of video myself (harder to plain text search), but
I'd be happy to help facilitate the setup and documentation of your project.

Max