[sudo-discuss] Dimmable 100W LED Driver Design for Arduino

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Jun 20 17:20:41 PDT 2015

put two 19v laptop adaptors in series with an n-channel mosfet, and have
an arduino powered by only the lower 19V adaptor which controls the
mosfet.

put an inductor between the transistor and the LED -, and also put a diode
from the inductor (where it connects to the drain of the mosfet) to the +
of the LED, where it's connected to the + of the upper 19v laptop adaptor.
put a good capacitor in parallel with the LED, rated for like 50 volts or
more.

in the arduino, set the PWM frequency to the highest it will go - a
divisor of 1 will yield 31 or 62 kHz depending on which pin you use.

connect a knob to one of the analog inputs, and write a program that reads
the value of the knob and sets the PWM accordingly - although make the
software limit the maximum PWM according to what you determine is the max
power the light can handle.

keep the transistor and LED cool.  Remember that the heatsink of the
transistor must not electrically contact anything else - it is the drain
(middle pin) electrically.

of course you can write programs to control the brightness from patterns
you create, instead of just looking at the knob.  Or you can make an audio
input to one of the analog pins control brightness.  As for controlling
servos, you can control 2 servos with an arduino pretty easily, on pins 9
and 10, it's one of the examples that comes with the arduino IDE.

as for the fan, just connect it to one of the 19v power supplies with a
series resistor so it gets the right amount of power.  If it's a 1w 12v
fan, you will need a resistor like around 84 ohms, dissipating 0.58 watts.
A 100 ohm 1w resistor would be fine, or a 50 ohm resistor if you want the
fan to blow faster.

-jake