[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [sudo-info] reaching out from google.org regarding an assistive technology hackathon

Jenny Ryan tunabananas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:24:56 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Arie Meir" <ariemeir at google.com>
Date: Jun 24, 2015 12:13 PM
Subject: [sudo-info] reaching out from google.org regarding an assistive
technology hackathon
To: <info at sudoroom.org>

Dear Sudoroom community,

I'm reaching out from the philanthropic arm of Google, Google.org which
supports non-profits aimed at technical innovation.

In our attempt to expand opportunity and independence for people with
disabilities we have recently launched a campaign
<https://get.google.com/disabilitiesimpactchallenge/open-call.html> aiming
to identify
and support non-profits doing innovative work in the assistive technology
space.

The reason for this email is that in addition to the campaign,we are
 thinking of organizing
 a hackathon around mid-late august focused on assistive technology using this
event <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_BQzJD9gpo>
 as a source of inspiration.

The basic idea is to bring the need-knowers (people with disabilities and
their
families/caregivers) together in the same room with tech folks
(hackers/makers/designers) and develop prototypes for affordable products
that
could serve the needs of the community of people with disabilities.

We thought that the hacker community of Sudoroom might find it
interesting/relevant
and some folks perhaps wish to participate.

We are trying to gauge the level of interest in something like this from
the hacker/maker/developer community.

Thoughts ? Ideas ? What should we think of to make this event more
relevant/interesting to the folks involved ?

With kindest regards,
On behalf of Google.org,

Arie Meir

--
*Arie Meir *| Technology Portfolio Lead, Google.org | +1.209.565.3886
<1.209.565.3886> | ariemeir at google.com

--
*Arie Meir *| Technology Portfolio Lead, Google.org | +1.209.565.3886
<1.209.565.3886> | ariemeir at google.com