[sudo-discuss] Fwd: [sudo-info] reaching out from google.org regarding an assistive technology hackathon

Vicky Knox vknoxsironi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 17:43:49 PDT 2015

I'm no longer in town but I have something to say.

I think this is a good opportunity to explore. I hear your concerns about
their approach, Ryan. I am particularly irked by the inspirational music in
the video. *shudders*

That said, I would love to take this opportunity to transmit our collective
concerns and critiques to them...call it "hacking their framing". :]
Whether one likes it or not, these folks have a lot of power in shaping
popular technology development and understandings into the future. While we
may not revolutionize Google, we can at least encourage them to do their
bidding in a way that is a little less evil.

I'm happy that they're directly reaching out to hackerspaces, which means
they may take notes. I'm also happy that they're reaching out to us because
our social ecosystem is quite a bit more diverse than theirs and therefore
has more potential for wisdom (I wonder, have they reached out to
Mothership or LOL?). The tech industry (or any business that requires a
steep social capital (whiteness, maleness, ability to work 40+ hours/week,
etc.) in order to have a better (or any) chance at getting employed), after
all, is largely ableist and culturally stagnant. Please excuse my nesting.