[sudo-discuss] This came up on Hackaday

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Jun 26 15:24:00 PDT 2015

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, cere.yahoo at gmail.com wrote:

> thought you all might be interested.
> https://hackaday.io/project/4681-reportsafe

thats a really good idea.  I hope they make it carefully though, because
cops are sadistic assholes who would obsess over revenge if someone
"snitched" on them.

they should remind submitters that without evidence of some kind,
reporting other police through a website might not be worth the risk of
getting caught "snitching".  Also, in court (or anywhere where a cop might
actually get in trouble) evidence, even videotaped evidence, can almost
never be used without a human testifying, even if all they say is "I set
up that camera and this footage came from it"

so basically, the site needs to tell the submitter to prepare for coming
out of the closet in case there is an investigation.

basically this site needs to be like kickstarter, in the sense that no
commitment is made by the (anonymous) testifier unless the threshold for
(and promise of) prosecution is reached.

and it needs to provide securedrop-like anonymity protections for
submitters with cragslist-like communications so that prosecutors can
ask questions of witnesses before they go public.

not an easy task, but definitely worthwhile.

seperately, the site should facilitate a bulletin board for the public
(and police) to post reports of incidents, anonymously and/or with contact
information in case something is actually done about it.

I wonder why craigslist doesn't have a police interactions category.

-jake